Here’s yet another way to use that zucchini and yellow squash, plus garden greens and herbs. My daughter-in-law Melissa, who is a great cook, gave me the idea. It is amazing how the squash sort of disappears or blends in and nobody is the wiser. Really, really delicious comfort food!
Comfort Side Dish
- 2 red potatoes, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced thinly
- 1 onion, cut in half, and sliced thinly
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced thinly
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh kale or 3 tablespoons dried kale leaves (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Put oil in a wok or large skillet, adding veggies as you slice them, beginning with the potatoes and onions (that take longest to cook). Add herbs and cook over high heat, tossing to prevent sticking, until everything is coated well. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Season well with salt and pepper. Serves 4.
Makes a delicious side dish that everyone loves. Add sliced cooked sausage or bratwurst for a hearty meal.