I am loving being able to harvest an overflowing garden basket every morning when I go out to my garden. This is the very best time of the year for healthy, gourmet eating! So tonight for dinner, Louisa and I put our harvest in a skillet and came up with a delicious garden-fresh dinner fit for a king!
Garden Skillet Dinner
- 1 gigantic zucchini, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 eggplant, cubed
- 3 Anaheim peppers (mildly hot), sliced (can substitute other peppers: bell peppers or 1 hot pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced (or 2 teaspoons dry oregano leaves)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Optional: 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or cooked ground beef
- 6 large garden tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1-2 cups grated cheese
1. Put veggies, garlic and oregano leaves in a large skillet. Cover and cook over medium low heat (no need to add water or oil).
2. When veggies are tender, stir in rice and meat. Heat through.
3. Spread tomatoes over the top of the contents of the skillet.
4. Stir 1 teaspoon powdered oregano, salt and pepper into sour cream and dollop on top of tomatoes.
5. Sprinkle grated cheese over all.
6. Cover and heat over medium low heat just until cheese is melted. Tomatoes will be warm but not cooked.
This recipe could easily be modified to use whatever your garden is producing. I like to have cooked grain like rice or quinoa in my fridge so I can make a quick meal. This only takes 30 minutes, start to table. Serves 6.
The gourmet, unique flavored “sauce” comes from the mix of the juice of the veggies with oregano and sour cream.
You might enjoy: