It’s summer and my garden is producing lots of zucchini, squash and carrots . . . time to stir all that goodness into a moist and delicious cake our families will love! Sugar free, naturally.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil (olive or coconut) or softened butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups total: grated carrots, yellow squash, zucchini
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnut halves and piece (I like to leave them big)
In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Make a hole in the center and add the wet ingredients, mixing well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Pour into a 9 x 13″ baking dish and bake for 40 minutes at 350°.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounce tub of plain unsweetened “whipped” cream cheese
- 6 drops liquid stevia or 1/4 cup honey, adding more to desired sweetness
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
Open lid on whipped cream cheese and add sweetener and butter. Stir to mix in completely. Taste and adjust sweetening as desired. Spread on cooled cake, garnish with chopped walnuts. Store in fridge.
Wholesome and sweet!